Clay County Poor Farm

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Clay County Poor Farm
Established 1856
Construction Began 1875
Opened 1876/1911
Closed 1975
Current Status Preserved
Building Style Single Building
Location Bowling Green, IN
Architecture Style Beaux Arts
Alternate Names
  • Clay County Poor Asylum
  • Clay County Home


The first poor farm, located two and a half miles northwest of Bowling Green, was purchased from a Mr. Blunk, at the March term of the Commissioners' Court, 1856, for $2,100.25. The present poor farm, lying two miles southwest of Bowling Green, was purchased from James and Smith Campbell, in January, 1875, for $7,900. The contract for the present buildings was let to Slocum & Co., in December, 1875, for $10,857.96. These buildings were completed and occupied the following year. The current building was constructed in 1911. It served as a county home until 1975.

The property is currently privately owned and used as a auction house & flea market, renamed the Poor Farm Markets.[1]