Ebensburg State School and Hospital
|Ebensburg State School and Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
The initial phase of construction for the Ebensburg State School and Hospital began in 1956, and the facility opened in 1957. It was an annex of Selinsgrove Center, and initially 150 epileptic patients were admitted. Ebensburg State School and Hospital became an independent facility in 1961. The patient population grew rapidly and a second phase of construction was completed in 1963. From 1961 to 1972, it was a medical and custodial care facility. After the implementation of the Right to Education Act of 1972, the model of Ebensburg State School converted from medical based to education based. In the late 1970s, the facility’s name was changed to Ebensburg Center.