Institute for Juvenile Research
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
In 1917 the newly created Department of Public Welfare assumed control of the Cook County Juvenile Psychopathic Institute and made it a part of the Division of the Criminologist Department of Public Welfare, 23rd Annual Report Springfield. Renamed as the Institute for Juvenile Research, the institution began to serve as a research center and to coordinate statewide activity in child guidance and delinquency prevention.
The State Criminologist acted as director of the Institute for Juvenile Research until 1941 when the Division of the Criminologist was transferred to the Department of Public Safety. The institute, however, then was made an independent division within the Department of Public Welfare and was specifically empowered to conduct scientific studies and to diagnose and promote the treatment of mentally ill, socially maladjusted, or delinquent children.
The institute, located in Chicago, also operates the William Healy School as an inpatient unit, provides child guidance services to children and their families, and trains personnel in these fields. Since its transfer to the Department of Mental Health in 1961 the institute has expanded its research activity to encompass the entire field of clinical psychiatry.