Marathon County Asylum
|Marathon County Asylum|
|Building Style||Single Building|
The asylum was built in 1893 for $80,000 at the end of Sturgeon Eddy Road in Wausau, at the urging of Judge Louis Marchetti, and was called the Asylum for the Chronic Insane. Built next door to the insane asylum was the Marathon County Home and Hospital which served as maternity and general hospital for poor residents. The asylum was once considered a model structure for care of mental patients.
In 1939, there were 210 chronically insane persons in the asylum. In 1948 the asylum changed its name to the Marathon County Hospital. In 1963 it became Sunny Vale Infirmary, and a renovation of a tuberculosis sanatorium on Highway 29 became Sunny Vale Manor.
Main Image Gallery: Marathon County Asylum