Nebraska Psychiatric Institute
|Nebraska Psychiatric Institute|
|Building Style||Single Building|
The Plans for NPI formed after the college's psychiatric unit had to leave Douglas County Hospital in 1951. Construction of NPI was completed in 1955 at the cost of $1.5 million. NPI housed 92 beds, a special research ward, laboratory, day therapy for children and adults, and facilities for the intensive study of psychiatric problems in children. Director Dr. Cecil Wittson's innovation in research, service, teaching, and technology led to the institute receiving the American Psychiatric Association's Mental Hospital Service Award in 1958. Still in operation today as a part of the University Nebraska College of Medicine in Omaha.