Northern Michigan Tuberculosis Sanatorium
|Northern Michigan Tuberculosis Sanatorium|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
Built in 1937 the Northern Michigan Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened in 1937 as a 128 bed TB Sanatorium just a few miles outside of Gaylord, Michigan. 5 accessory buildings were added and the facility took over a 160 acre plot before converting eventually being converted to a state hospital for the mentally handicapped. The named changed in 1972 to the Alpine Center. In 1981, the Alpine Center closed as a center for the disabled as their care became community based. The impact to the local economy and the displaced workers was enormous. Hoover moved to another part of the state to work at a similar institution as did many of her relatives and other employees of the center. In 1982, Otsego County purchased the 160 acres and six buildings for $1. The complex was named the J. Richard Yuill Alpine Center. The Gaylord High School, University Center, 46th Circuit Court and a number of other county, state and federal agencies are now housed there.