St. Josephs Sanitarium
From Asylum Projects
|St. Josephs Sanitarium|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Architect(s)||Theophilus Van Damme|
|Location||Mt. Clemens, MI|
|Architecture Style||Colonial Revival|
St. Joseph's Sanitarium was opened in 1899 by the Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph, Cincinnati, Ohio in 1899. Construction began in 1898 after a sisters suggestion that the salt bath facilities held curative properties and the spot was an ideal site for a convalescence home and hospital.
In 1900 the 3rd floor of the building, with 50 beds, were saved as a hospital facility and sanitarium. By 1952 the mineral salt baths were phased out and the hospital converted to the treatment of chronic illness.
The facility still stands today as a registered historic site. In 1990 ownership of the facility was transferred from the Sisters of Charity to Mercy Health Systems.