Stonington Institute

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Stonington Institute
Opened 1957
Current Status Active
Building Style Single Building
Location North Stonington, CT
Alternate Names
  • Starlight Farms


Stonington Institute began serving people who struggle with alcoholism and addictions in 1957 as Starlight Farms. The main campus in North Stonington was operated as a fruit and vegetable farm by a WWII fighter pilot who lived on the property with his family until his children left the farm. The property was sold to a neighbor who was among the founders of the AA movement in Connecticut and who created a program where alcoholics could work the farm and learn the 12 Steps.

The Institute’s programs are licensed by the Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH), and the Connecticut Department of Children and Families (DCF). Stonington Institute has been accredited by The Joint Commission since 1997 and is a Tricare certified Substance Use and Disorder Rehabilitation Facility (SUDRF).