Sullivan County Poor Home
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Architect(s)||Wing and Mahurin|
In 1855 Sullivan County purchased 80 acres to build it's first county asylum, but it wasn't built until 1865, and in 1877 another structure was completed as the infirmary. By 1896 it was decided by the county commissioners that a new and more modern building was needed to meet the demands. The new building was 120 feet long & 95 feet wide with room for 20 inmates. In the early 20th century, the average population was 25, most able to work on the farm. In 1947 the name was changed to the Sullivan County Home. Throughout the 1960s & '70s, the number of inmates rarely exceeded 30 or 40. On December 31, 1998, the facility closed due to funding issues by the county. Efforts by local preservationists saved the building and it is now used as apartments and privately owned.
Images of Sullivan County Poor Home
Main Image Gallery: Sullivan County Poor Home
- Hassett, Kayla. "The County Home in Indiana : A Forgotten Response to Poverty and Disability." Diss. Ed. Vera A. Adams. Ball State U, 2013. Cardinal Scholar, 05 Apr. 2013. Web. 02 Dec 2014.