Vigo County Poor Farm

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Vigo County Poor Farm
Established 1851
Opened 1853
Demolished 1987
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Single Building
Location Terre Haute, IN


The first poor house in Vigo County was built on 80 acres in 1853 and was charged with caring for the ‘unfortunates' of the county. By 1865, due in large part to the rapidly growing city of Terre Haute, the house was no longer adequate to care for the poor of the county and the house was sold. In 1866, a new site for the Home, located on what is now Maple Avenue, was purchased and construction on a new building soon follows. The County Home was rebuilt again in 1936 with an expansion in 1976. In 1992, ownership of the Home was transferred to Nationwide Management Inc. of Indianapolis when the Vigo County Council voted to sell the Home.

Images of Vigo County Poor Farm[edit]

Main Image Gallery: Vigo County Poor Farm



Vigo County Poor Farm records indicate 49 burials near the northern boundary of the property from 1898 to 1903.No known records exist for subsequent burials. Old Plat maps are marked "Graveyard" with 24 crosses on both sides of then Watson Road. Asylum Building built in 1866, now demolished. No marked graves exist. Eight sets of Human remains unearthed in 2011 during excavation for new water line.