Waupaca County Asylum

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Waupaca County Asylum
Established 1886
Construction Began 1900
Construction Ended 1902
Opened 1902
Current Status Active
Building Style Single Building
Location Weyauwega, Wisconsin
Peak Patient Population 140 patients
Alternate Names
  • Waupaca County Hospital



History[edit]

In 1886 legislatures of the County of Waupaca approved the purchase of land to build an asylum for the county. In the winter of the following year plans were established, property purchased for the building of an asylum, and deals struck for the building of the facility, but due to legal wrangling by several members of the current board at that time construction was stalled until 1900. The building, located outside of the city and town of Waupaca, was Finished sometime in 1902. The final building was placed in Weyauwega, Wisconsin and approved the same year for use by the county building committee.

In the 1950's the Wisconsin county asylums all changed their names to hospitals. This asylum than became known as the Waupaca County Hospital. In 1974 the county hospitals system for the care of the mentally ill was deemed inadequate and the hospitals in the system were closed or required to convert to assisted care or long term treatment facilities. A new facility named Lakeview Manor was opened shortly after these rules passed.