Florida Industrial School for Girls

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 21:54, 23 September 2014 by Squad546 (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = Florida Industrial School for Girls | image = FLgirlsindustrial3.png | image_size = 250px | alt = | established = 1915 | construction_began = | o...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Florida Industrial School for Girls
Established 1915
Opened 1917
Current Status Preserved
Building Style Cottage Plan
Alternate Names
  • East Hall
  • McPherson Government Complex




History[edit]

The Florida Industrial School for Girls was a reclamation school for delinquent females in Ocala, Florida. The state legislature first established the school in 1915, and was opened in 1917. The industrial school originally accepted girls from nine to seventeen years of age, but later accepted only those ages twelve to seventeen. No pregnant females were allowed. They were trained in home economics as well as traditional school curricula. The facility was located at 307 Southeast 26th Terrace. In 1995, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Images[edit]