Difference between revisions of "Fort Supply State Hospital"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with '{{infobox institution | name = Fort Supply State Hospital | image = | image_size = 250px | alt = | caption = | established = 1875 | construction_began = | construction_ended…')
(No difference)

Revision as of 06:24, 13 January 2010

Fort Supply State Hospital
Established 1875
Current Status Active
Building Style Cottage Plan
Alternate Names Western State Hospital

Western State Psychiatric Center Western Oklahoma Hospital

William S. Key Correctional Center



Fort Supply was officially closed in September of 1894 and turned over to the Department of the Interior on February 26, 1895. In May of 1908 the first patients arrived at the Western Oklahoma Hospital that used the old post's buildings and grounds as the state of Oklahoma's first mental health facility. The Oklahoma Historical Society currently administers five structures and a replica stockade as the Fort Supply Historic Site. The grounds of the old post are also occupied by the Western State Psychiatric Center and the William S. Key Correctional Center. The Fort Supply Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 (NR 71000675).