Difference between revisions of "Fort Supply State Hospital"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
m
Line 21: Line 21:
 
*Western State Psychiatric Center
 
*Western State Psychiatric Center
 
*Western Oklahoma Hospital
 
*Western Oklahoma Hospital
*William S. Key Correctional Center  
+
*William S. Key Correctional Center (current)
 
}}
 
}}
  
 
==History==
 
==History==
 
Fort Supply was officially closed in September of 1894 and turned over to the Department of the Interior on February 26, 1895. In May of 1908 the first patients arrived at the Western Oklahoma Hospital that used the old post's buildings and grounds as the state of Oklahoma's first mental health facility. The Oklahoma Historical Society currently administers five structures and a replica stockade as the Fort Supply Historic Site. The grounds of the old post are also occupied by the Western State Psychiatric Center and the William S. Key Correctional Center. The Fort Supply Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 (NR 71000675).
 
Fort Supply was officially closed in September of 1894 and turned over to the Department of the Interior on February 26, 1895. In May of 1908 the first patients arrived at the Western Oklahoma Hospital that used the old post's buildings and grounds as the state of Oklahoma's first mental health facility. The Oklahoma Historical Society currently administers five structures and a replica stockade as the Fort Supply Historic Site. The grounds of the old post are also occupied by the Western State Psychiatric Center and the William S. Key Correctional Center. The Fort Supply Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 (NR 71000675).
 +
 +
==Cemetery==
 +
Burials in the hospital section of the cemetery took place between 1908 and 1951. There are 961 persons buried here. Bodies of old soldiers formerly buried here were moved to Leavenworth, Kansas.
  
 
[[Category:Active Institution]]
 
[[Category:Active Institution]]
 
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]
 
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]
 
[[Category:Oklahoma]]
 
[[Category:Oklahoma]]
 +
[[Category:Institution With A Cemetery]]

Revision as of 19:52, 11 June 2010

Fort Supply State Hospital
Established 1875
Current Status Active
Building Style Cottage Plan
Alternate Names
  • Western State Hospital
  • Western State Psychiatric Center
  • Western Oklahoma Hospital
  • William S. Key Correctional Center (current)



History

Fort Supply was officially closed in September of 1894 and turned over to the Department of the Interior on February 26, 1895. In May of 1908 the first patients arrived at the Western Oklahoma Hospital that used the old post's buildings and grounds as the state of Oklahoma's first mental health facility. The Oklahoma Historical Society currently administers five structures and a replica stockade as the Fort Supply Historic Site. The grounds of the old post are also occupied by the Western State Psychiatric Center and the William S. Key Correctional Center. The Fort Supply Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 (NR 71000675).

Cemetery

Burials in the hospital section of the cemetery took place between 1908 and 1951. There are 961 persons buried here. Bodies of old soldiers formerly buried here were moved to Leavenworth, Kansas.