Fort Supply State Hospital

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 16:21, 1 June 2010 by Squad546 (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
Fort Supply State Hospital
Established 1875
Current Status Active
Building Style Cottage Plan
Alternate Names
  • Western State Hospital
  • Western State Psychiatric Center
  • Western Oklahoma Hospital
  • William S. Key Correctional Center



History

Fort Supply was officially closed in September of 1894 and turned over to the Department of the Interior on February 26, 1895. In May of 1908 the first patients arrived at the Western Oklahoma Hospital that used the old post's buildings and grounds as the state of Oklahoma's first mental health facility. The Oklahoma Historical Society currently administers five structures and a replica stockade as the Fort Supply Historic Site. The grounds of the old post are also occupied by the Western State Psychiatric Center and the William S. Key Correctional Center. The Fort Supply Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 (NR 71000675).