Mt Pleasant State Hospital
|Mt Pleasant State Hospital|
|Building Style||Kirkbride Plan (Demolished)|
|Peak Patient Population||1,581 in 1946|
The Mount Pleasant Mental Health Institute is the oldest of the four Iowa Department of Human Services facilities serving persons affected by mental illness. The first patient was admitted on February 26, 1861. In the early years of its operation, the facility was a custodial facility for patients who were hospitalized for long periods of time, some for the greater part of their lives.
In 1946, the facility reached its peak occupancy of 1,581. Since 1945 however, new therapies and medications have helped decrease the facility's population, and the individual's average length of stay has been reduced from years to a matter of weeks.
The Center for Psychiatric Care (Adult Psychiatric Services and Dual Diagnosis) is accredited by the Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services. The Iowa Residential Treatment Center is licensed by the Iowa Department of Public Health, and is currently operating on a three-year accreditation which was received in 2005.
From the "BOARD OF CONTROL OF STATE INSTITUTIONS, From Iowa Official Register 1909-1910" pages 262-269
- Superintendent-CHARLES F. APPLEGATE, M.D.
- First Assistant Physician-FRANK T. STEVENS, M.D.
- Second Assistant Physician-EDWARD L. EMRICH, M.D.
- Third Assistant Physician-JOHN F. SCHAEFER, M.D.
- Woman Physician-ANNE BURNET, M.D.
- Pathologist-FRED G. ELLIS
- Steward-RALPH HULINGS
- Matron-JANET DONALDSON
The amount allowed for the support of this hospital is $12 per month for each patient. All expenses of the hospital, except for special purposes, are paid from the sum so named, and the amount is charged to the counties from which patients are sent.
Images of Mt Pleasant State Hospital
Main Image Gallery: Mt Pleasant State Hospital
There is a cemetery on the property, however it is now off-limits as part of the prison that currently operates the facility.