New Jersey Sanitorium for Tuberculosis Diseases
|New Jersey Sanitorium for Tuberculosis Diseases|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Location||Glen Gardner, NJ|
In 1907, New Jersey opened its only state owned and operated sanatorium in Glen Gardner.
It was intended to be a model institution, providing individual and public health benefits to an expected 500 case annually. Described at the time as “largely educational in character, which would give a practical demonstration of up-to-date methods of treating .... tuberculosis”, the facility treated more than 10,000 between 1907 and 1929.
The sanatorium's mission was broadened and the effects of long-term care assessed by the 1920s. The scope was broadened to incorporate cases in all levels of severity, regardless of the original intention to only treat "incipients, or 'curables'". The sanatorium's treatment remained reatively unchanged until the middle of the twentieth century when medication became the prevailing treatment. In 1950, the sanatorium broaden it's scope once again, but this to to include all chest diseases, and the name was changed to the New Jersey Hospital for Chest Diseases.
The desire for isolation hospitals began to diminish, due to the public's interpretation of the disease shifting and the sanatorium cure was losing popularity. In 1977 the facility was converted into a state-sponsored nursing home, and renamed the Garret W. Hagedorn Gero-Psychiatric Hospital.
Images of New Jersey Sanitorium for Tuberculosis Diseases
Main Image Gallery: New Jersey Sanitorium for Tuberculosis Diseases