Norman Beatty Mental Hospital
|Norman Beatty Mental Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
Dedicated in 1949 at Westville, LaPorte County, the hospital’s civil division began admitting patients from 17 counties in northern Indiana in 1951. The maximum security division opened in 1954, replacing the old Hospital for Insane Criminals at the Indiana State Prison. This division served the criminally insane from the entire state. Beatty Hospital was converted in 1979 into the Westville Correctional Center. Patients from the civil division were transferred to other mental health hospitals. A total of 18,799 patients were admitted between 1951 and 1979. It is in the process of conversion to high security facilities for prisoners needing psychiatric help.