Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Image Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(16 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FIformat
 
{{FIformat
|Image= WBSH1.jpg
+
|Image= tranquilleasylumPC.png
 
|Width= 600px
 
|Width= 600px
|Body= [[Westborough State Hospital]] was established in 1886 as a residential treatment facility for the mentally ill. Westborough was one of the first hospitals in the United States to apply the principles of homeopathic medicine to the treatment of mental disorders. Its important place in the history of American psychiatry has been recognized through its inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places. Almost all of the buildings at Westborough State Hospital were demolished in 2019.    
+
|Body= [[Tranquille Asylum|“Tranquille”]], also referred to as Padova City, was the “King Edward VII Tuberculosis Sanatorium”. The area itself was named “Tranquille” after the Indian Chief “Sanquil”. Tuberculosis or consumption or the white plague, was an epidemic at turn-of-the-century. The land just outside Kamloops city limits, where the North and South Thompson meet and flow into Kamloops Lake, was purchased in 1905 and the tuberculosis hospital began taking patients by 1907. The site is approximately 191 acres and by the 1950s had at least 40 buildings. Tranquille was operated as a tuberculosis sanatorium from its inception until 1958 when it was closed.
 
}}
 
}}

Revision as of 03:38, 8 December 2019

Featured Image Of The Week

tranquilleasylumPC.png
“Tranquille”, also referred to as Padova City, was the “King Edward VII Tuberculosis Sanatorium”. The area itself was named “Tranquille” after the Indian Chief “Sanquil”. Tuberculosis or consumption or the white plague, was an epidemic at turn-of-the-century. The land just outside Kamloops city limits, where the North and South Thompson meet and flow into Kamloops Lake, was purchased in 1905 and the tuberculosis hospital began taking patients by 1907. The site is approximately 191 acres and by the 1950s had at least 40 buildings. Tranquille was operated as a tuberculosis sanatorium from its inception until 1958 when it was closed.