Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Image Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(9 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FIformat
 
{{FIformat
|Image= Madison01.jpg
+
|Image= 120915pv.jpg
 
|Width= 600px
 
|Width= 600px
|Body= On Feb. 21, 1905, the [[Madison State Hospital|Indiana legislature passed a bill]] to construct a mental institution in southeastern Indiana. A commission named for the purpose chose Madison as the site of the institution. It was built mostly on land purchased from Henry and Ford Hitz at $100 per acre, atop the hills overlooking the Ohio River. The first patients were accepted at the new Southeastern Indiana Hospital for the Insane on Aug. 23, 1910. The approximately 600 patients were transported here from Central State Hospital in Indianapolis by train. Guards who stood watch over them carried shotguns loaded with rock salt.  
+
|Body= By 1900, [[Onondaga County Poor House|the Poor House, now known as County Home]], no longer had to care for the blind, those with mental illness or for children. But it faced a growing number of occupants, especially as Syracuse's population soared toward 20,000. And there were always sick, frail and even pregnant residents. Various rooms were designated over time as infirmary wards but always proved deficient. Pressed by local physicians and the state, the country finally relented and erected a 60-bed hospital for the site in 1900. It marked a key transformation in the history of "The Home" and of local public care for the indigent.
 
}}
 
}}

Latest revision as of 04:53, 20 September 2020

Featured Image Of The Week

120915pv.jpg
By 1900, the Poor House, now known as County Home, no longer had to care for the blind, those with mental illness or for children. But it faced a growing number of occupants, especially as Syracuse's population soared toward 20,000. And there were always sick, frail and even pregnant residents. Various rooms were designated over time as infirmary wards but always proved deficient. Pressed by local physicians and the state, the country finally relented and erected a 60-bed hospital for the site in 1900. It marked a key transformation in the history of "The Home" and of local public care for the indigent.