Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Image Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(45 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FIformat
 
{{FIformat
|Image= Victor Cullen Sanitarium.jpg
+
|Image= St Elizabeth SH 04.jpg
 
|Width= 600px
 
|Width= 600px
|Body= The [[Victor Cullen State Hospital|Victor Cullen Center]] is located in a rural area outside of Sabillasville, in Frederick County. The facility, originally named The Hilltop State Hospital, was built in 1907. It was the first state funded tuberculosis sanatorium in Maryland. It later became a State hospital and in 1965 became a reform school for boys. In 1967 the Cullen Academy was transferred and placed under the direction of Maryland’s Juvenile Services.  
+
|Body= The [[St Elizabeths Hospital|original main building]] was built from brick made on the place, and in architectural style is a modification of the Kirkbride plan, each wing receding for the center, in echelon. The building itself is in the collegiate Gothic style. This main building was several years in building and wings were added to it from time to time. Other construction, however, was undertaken in the meant time, and shortly after the opening of the hospital, during fiscal year 1855-6, a building was opened for the colored insane, which the superintendent state in his report he believed to be the "first and only special provision for the suitable care of the African when afflicted with insanity which has yet been made in any part of the world.
 
}}
 
}}

Latest revision as of 03:01, 29 January 2023

Featured Image Of The Week

St Elizabeth SH 04.jpg
The original main building was built from brick made on the place, and in architectural style is a modification of the Kirkbride plan, each wing receding for the center, in echelon. The building itself is in the collegiate Gothic style. This main building was several years in building and wings were added to it from time to time. Other construction, however, was undertaken in the meant time, and shortly after the opening of the hospital, during fiscal year 1855-6, a building was opened for the colored insane, which the superintendent state in his report he believed to be the "first and only special provision for the suitable care of the African when afflicted with insanity which has yet been made in any part of the world."