Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Image Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(21 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FIformat
 
{{FIformat
|Image= dunningpc2.jpg
+
|Image= MIjacksoncoPC.png
 
|Width= 600px
 
|Width= 600px
|Body= The constantly increasing number of insane cases in the wards of [[Chicago State Hospital|the poorhouse]] soon made manifest the necessity of providing separate and suitable quarters for this class of county charges. Accordingly in 1870 the insane asylum was built. This institution was erected on the county far, a little over a block northeast of the infirmary, on the ground dotted with forest trees and gradually sloping to an artificial lake. L. B. Dixon, of Chicago, was the architect.  
+
|Body= [[Jackson County Poor Farm|Jackson County’s poor house/farm]] became one of the first created in the earliest days of Michigan statehood. Generation after generation of poor souls lived there. Some were blind, deaf or insane, and others just homeless for a variety of reasons. The 1881 “History of Jackson County” documented that 33 people — equal numbers of men and women — lived there then. The men worked about the farm and in the garden, barn and wood pile. The women performed household duties. Fire destroyed the original poor house about 1886 and a new wooden frame building with a brick exterior was built a year later.    
 
}}
 
}}

Latest revision as of 04:23, 27 November 2022

Featured Image Of The Week

MIjacksoncoPC.png
Jackson County’s poor house/farm became one of the first created in the earliest days of Michigan statehood. Generation after generation of poor souls lived there. Some were blind, deaf or insane, and others just homeless for a variety of reasons. The 1881 “History of Jackson County” documented that 33 people — equal numbers of men and women — lived there then. The men worked about the farm and in the garden, barn and wood pile. The women performed household duties. Fire destroyed the original poor house about 1886 and a new wooden frame building with a brick exterior was built a year later.