Featured Image Of The Week
The asylum was the last major structure
to be built at Port Arthur before it closed in 1877. Its construction was paid for by the British Government. Because of the age of the few remaining convicts on-site, the authorities had to employ tradesmen to build it. It was completed in 1868. The Asylum originally had four wings radiating from a central dining room.