Red Moon School
|Red Moon School|
In 1894 white Indian Agent James H. Hammon, for whom the surrounding town is named, was established an Indian School northeast of Hammon, Indian Territory. After the land opening James Hammon had been sent to the Red Moon Agency to build a reservation school and to teach the Cheyenne and Arapaho to farm. the school was named Red Moon School in honor of the Indian Chief. This school was also a mission for the Mennonite faith. This building burned on December 18, 1965.
In 1908, after statehood was passed, the school was given agency responsibilities by the Federal Government as a subset of the Cheyenne Arapaho Agency. These duties included taking and keeping records of land allotment, annuity rolls, health records, and census'. But when the school was closed in 1917, those responsibilities transferred back to the Cheyenne Arapaho Agency which today is the Concho Agency.
The building burned on December 18, 1965.