Kentucky Institution for Feeble Minded children

From Asylum Projects
Viewed 3009 times, With a total of 25 Posts
Jump to: navigation, search

Jump to page 1Prev 16
Wiki Edit 0
Searching
You state about having a federal census list. Does this list contain patients of the facility? I am looking for a list aunt that I just found out about and I was told she was last a patient at this facility.

Forum Veteran
Wiki Edit 9886
Threads 81
Posts 906
Quote:173.210.15.202 Fri 21st 10:59 am
You state about having a federal census list. Does this list contain patients of the facility? I am looking for a list aunt that I just found out about and I was told she was last a patient at this facility.


The latest available census is from 1940, Frankfort State Hospital closed in the 1970s. I could check with Frankfort and see if the have a list of the final patients discharged available.

Wiki Edit 0
Quote:Squad546 Sat 22nd 3:23 am
Quote:173.210.15.202 Fri 21st 10:59 am
You state about having a federal census list. Does this list contain patients of the facility? I am looking for a list aunt that I just found out about and I was told she was last a patient at this facility.


The latest available census is from 1940, Frankfort State Hospital closed in the 1970s. I could check with Frankfort and see if the have a list of the final patients discharged available.



That would be awesome. I have been reading up on the hospital and did run across where some of the patients had been transferred between two different hospitals. Thanks for responding and greatly appreciate your help.

Forum Veteran
Wiki Edit 9886
Threads 81
Posts 906
I talked to someone at Department for Behavioral Health, they wont give out the list with out the court records. You can email Jeff Edwards at Protection & Advocacy, he headed up the last 2 cemetery clean-ups at the cemetery there and has been doing some research on the hospital. His email is [email protected]

Wiki Edit 0
Thank you
Thank you for the address, it is greatly appreciated.

Wiki Edit 0
Graves
Quote:Squad546 Thu 9th 8:07 pm
Are you looking for a specific patient? I have added most of the names I have found from death certificates (1911-1953) to findagrave.com. The state archives has a list as well but it is sealed by the mental health cabinet. I have a list of names from the federal census as well.

Findagrave listing for FSH

i am looking for a susan hopper i have found her children here and at another home..this search is for her grandkids trying to find fathers family..their father was charlie simmons records i have found in census are showing him put here very young... what would the cemetary be named on find a grave?

Forum Veteran
Wiki Edit 9886
Threads 81
Posts 906
Quote: Thu 12th 6:33 pm
Quote:Squad546 Thu 9th 8:07 pm
Are you looking for a specific patient? I have added most of the names I have found from death certificates (1911-1953) to findagrave.com. The state archives has a list as well but it is sealed by the mental health cabinet. I have a list of names from the federal census as well.

Findagrave listing for FSH

i am looking for a susan hopper i have found her children here and at another home..this search is for her grandkids trying to find fathers family..their father was charlie simmons records i have found in census are showing him put here very young... what would the cemetary be named on find a grave?


The cemetery is listed as the "Frankfort State Hospital and School Cemetery" on find a grave. Do you have dates for Susan like date of birth or death?

Forum Veteran
Wiki Edit 9886
Threads 81
Posts 906
The state finally sent me a list of deaths at the FSH from about 1904-1965. I'm unable to upload it here since it's in the wrong format, but I can look up names as requested. Anything pre-1900s was likely lost to a fire.

Just Got Here
Wiki Edit 0
Threads 0
Posts 1
My Great-Uncle died at Kentucky Institute for the Feebleminded
Quote:Squad546 Tue 15th 8:10 am
The state finally sent me a list of deaths at the FSH from about 1904-1965. I'm unable to upload it here since it's in the wrong format, but I can look up names as requested. Anything pre-1900s was likely lost to a fire.





My great-uncle, Hiram H Brandenburg died at the institute on 14 MAR 1938 • Frankfort, Franklin, Kentucky from tuberculosis. He lived there 15 years. He was 35 years old when placed there. He was born in Lee County, KY to Thomas & Nancy Brandenburg on March 17, 1887. Victor Banta & Sons was the funeral home. I can't read all of the burial place on the death certificate. It is something I can't read, then an initial and then Frankfort followed by a date of 03/15/38. I was wondering if he is on your list.

Wiki Edit 0
1940 census
Hi,
My grandmother and great grandmother mother were both patients there. My grandmother was there from about 1933 until I don't know. She died in 1958 in the Kentucky State Hospital in Danville. I don't know when she was moved to Danville. I have not been able to find either hospital in the 1940 census. Do you know if they are listed in the census? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Forum Veteran
Wiki Edit 9886
Threads 81
Posts 906
Quote:Mkj307 Thu 19th 5:18 am
Quote:Squad546 Tue 15th 8:10 am
The state finally sent me a list of deaths at the FSH from about 1904-1965. I'm unable to upload it here since it's in the wrong format, but I can look up names as requested. Anything pre-1900s was likely lost to a fire.





My great-uncle, Hiram H Brandenburg died at the institute on 14 MAR 1938 • Frankfort, Franklin, Kentucky from tuberculosis. He lived there 15 years. He was 35 years old when placed there. He was born in Lee County, KY to Thomas & Nancy Brandenburg on March 17, 1887. Victor Banta & Sons was the funeral home. I can't read all of the burial place on the death certificate. It is something I can't read, then an initial and then Frankfort followed by a date of 03/15/38. I was wondering if he is on your list.

Hiram was admitted to FSH July 24, 1923. He is buried on the hospital grounds with an unmarked grave.

Forum Veteran
Wiki Edit 9886
Threads 81
Posts 906
Quote: Thu 19th 9:31 am
Hi,
My grandmother and great grandmother mother were both patients there. My grandmother was there from about 1933 until I don't know. She died in 1958 in the Kentucky State Hospital in Danville. I don't know when she was moved to Danville. I have not been able to find either hospital in the 1940 census. Do you know if they are listed in the census? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Give me the names and I will check with Frankfort.

Wiki Edit 0
Homicide that occurred at the FSH
Do you know any details about the murder and scandals that occurred before the hospital closed in 72? I appreciate any information you can send my way.

Forum Veteran
Wiki Edit 9886
Threads 81
Posts 906
Quote: Thu 22nd 6:55 pm
Do you know any details about the murder and scandals that occurred before the hospital closed in 72? I appreciate any information you can send my way.
There were 2 patients killed in the 1960s and 1 employee. Several accidental deaths and the fact the place was falling apart led the state to finally close it. If you go to the gallery for Frankfort State Hospital, I've got several of the articles about it there.

Wiki Edit 0
I'm not sure what you mean about going to Frankfort State Hospital Gallery. I can't seem to find that.......
Thanks for responding and helping me.

Wiki Edit 0
Edna " Eddie " McCoy
My aunt Edna was there from abt. mid 1930s to unknown date. She is on the 1940 census. She died in 1992 in an old folks home. I am searching for and records of her time thru this period of her life. She is said to have had a child some time during her life there. You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Forum Veteran
Wiki Edit 9886
Threads 81
Posts 906
Quote: Tue 27th 8:14 pm
I'm not sure what you mean about going to Frankfort State Hospital Gallery. I can't seem to find that.......
Thanks for responding and helping me.

FSH photos

Wiki Edit 0
Quote:Squad546 Tue 15th 8:10 am
The state finally sent me a list of deaths at the FSH from about 1904-1965. I'm unable to upload it here since it's in the wrong format, but I can look up names as requested. Anything pre-1900s was likely lost to a fire.


Could you possibly look up Nancy Middleton? She was a resident in 1940, born in or around 1917. You can email me at [email protected] if you find anything. Thank you so much.

Wiki Edit 0
William Frey
I just recently learned about this great uncle and have little information for him. I have located a William Frey on the 1930 Census and on Find a Grave but he is buried in Bellevue Cemetery in Danville. Did they bury patients in that cemetery as well? Thank you for your help and all of the work you have done on Find a Grave to bring some rememberance to those who were forgotten.

Wiki Edit 0
William Frey
One other thing...are you able to verify his parents as Frank & Anna Frey?

Forum Veteran
Wiki Edit 9886
Threads 81
Posts 906
Quote: Fri 28th 4:54 am
I just recently learned about this great uncle and have little information for him. I have located a William Frey on the 1930 Census and on Find a Grave but he is buried in Bellevue Cemetery in Danville. Did they bury patients in that cemetery as well? Thank you for your help and all of the work you have done on Find a Grave to bring some rememberance to those who were forgotten.
If he is buried elsewhere, not at the hospital, then it is most likely hi family paid to have burial in a regular cemetery. If you give me his date of death I'll check on the parents.

Wiki Edit 0
William Frey
Thank you for your response. I have March 26, 1954 for his dod.

Forum Veteran
Wiki Edit 9886
Threads 81
Posts 906
Quote: Sun 30th 2:20 am
Thank you for your response. I have March 26, 1954 for his dod.

I have found a William Frey that died at Kentucky State Hospital on that date & buried in Danville. His parents were Frank & Anna Frey and was committed from Dayton, Ky.

Wiki Edit 0
William Frey
Thank you for the confirmation of William's parents. I do so appreciate your time.


Forum >> General Area >> Genealogy
Jump to page 1Prev 16


               
         

Post Title

You are posting a



Who's here now Members 0 Guests 0 Bots/Crawler 1


AWC's: 2.5.12 MediaWiki - Stand Alone Forum Extension
Forum theme style by: AWC
Views
Personal tools
Toolbox