Tiffin State Hospital
|Tiffin State Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
Tiffin Developmental Center (“TDC”) is located on the banks of the Sandusky River on the North edge of the city. The grounds consist of 644 acres, and the Center properties cover approximately 60 acres on which are located 35 buildings. The properties and facilities of Tiffin Developmental Center present the appearance of a college campus with its well-dispersed buildings, roadways, beautiful trees, lawns, and wooded picnic and recreation area. Prior to 1944, when these properties were acquired by the State of Ohio, the grounds and many of the present buildings provided a home and educational facility for thousands of Junior Home “Kids”.
From 1944 to October 1975, this facility was known as the Tiffin State Hospital and served only mentally ill patients. In October of 1975, a component of 124 people with mental retardation and/or developmental disabilities were brought to what is now known as Tiffin Developmental Center. The facility now has 187 licensed beds to serve individuals with mental retardation and/or developmental disabilities. The Center serves individuals from a fourteen county area of Northwest Ohio.
The overall objective of the Tiffin Developmental Center program is to provide multipurpose residential care and training services for people with mental retardation and/or developmental disabilities and acknowledges each individual’s capacity for learning, growing, and developing, regardless of his or her disability. To this end, all staff and volunteer efforts are directed toward programming adequately for each individual. The ultimate goal for all individuals is to prepare them to function as independently as possible in the least restrictive setting possible.