Wabash County Poor Asylum

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 18:33, 29 April 2021 by Squad546 (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = Wabash County Poor Asylum | image = | image_size = 250px | alt = | established = | construction_began = | opened = 1855 | closed = 1976 | de...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Wabash County Poor Asylum
Opened 1855
Closed 1976
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Single Building
Location Wabash, IN
Alternate Names
  • Wabash County Home


The Wabash Co. Poor Farm (also known as the County Infirmary or County Home) was begun in the 1850s and played a major role in the care of people who, because of poverty, infirmity, disability or old age, were unable to care for themselves. It was overseen by an institution manager who had similar responsibilities as the township trustees. It was a working farm that produced the grain, livestock and garden produce that it consumed. House rules were strict and accommodations were minimal.

It continued in operation into the mid-1970s and was actively supported by local churches, benevolent societies such as the Red Cross and Salvation Army, local fraternal organizations and even schools. During the 120 years of its existence, there were a total of 3 houses. At times it experienced fires, mismanagement and neglect. Understandably, it saw its highest population during the Great Depression of the 1930s, and received assistance from various New Deal reform programs at that time, including Social Security. It was finally replaced with our current Welfare system beginning in the mid-1960s under President Johnson's Great Society reforms.