Chicago-Winfield Tuberculosis Sanatorium
|Chicago-Winfield Tuberculosis Sanatorium|
|Building Style||Single Building (Demolished)|
The site where Central DuPage Hospital currently stands has a century-long history of health service. In 1897, Winfield, Illinois, was selected as the site for a family-run rest home near what is now the main entrance to Central DuPage Hospital. The two-story frame building was set on a wooded hillside, with grounds that reached to the DuPage River. After the owner’s death in 1908, the rest home was sold. A year later, it reopened as the Chicago-Winfield Tuberculosis Sanatorium, which was operated by three Chicago-area charitable organizations.
Over the years, more land was acquired to the east. The original building was destroyed by fire, and a new sanitarium was rebuilt on the same site. By the late 1950s, most patients were being relocated to Chicago for care. In 1958, a citizens group representing the communities of Glen Ellyn, Lombard, Wheaton, Warrenville, Winfield and West Chicago was incorporated as the Central DuPage Hospital Association. Their purpose: to establish a hospital in the area.