Springview Developmental Center
|Springview Developmental Center|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
The Clark County Tuberculosis Sanitarium was established in 1910 as the District Tuberculosis Hospital financed by Greene, Madison, Champaign, and Clark counties. It officially opened on October 20, 1911 with 11 patients. In 1925 the district hospital was liquidated and Clark County took control of the property. The facility had beds for 95 adults and 25 children, with a usual caseload of between 85 and 90, in the 1950s. In 1965 the state of Ohio purchased the property and converted it into the Springview Hospital for the Tubercular Retarded. Finally, on August 18, 1975 the Springview Development Center opened its doors to those with mental retardation and/or other developmental disabilities, particularly the profoundly retarded who were also physically handicapped. The center was closed by the state in 2005.
Clark County purchased the former Springview Developmental Center from the state for $2 in 2005, making several upgrades at the facility over the last 15 years.The main building now houses the East District offices for the Clark County Sheriffs Department.