|George Washington McCafferty, Jr.|
|Born||July 13, 1870|
G.W. McCafferty Jr. was an American Alienist physician on the staff of the male department of the Norristown State Hospital from 1897 until 1908, and then at the Institute of the Pennsylvania Hospital from 1908 until 1912, before assuming a private practice. He was the son of George Washington and Margaret (Watson) McCafferty, the former a native of Pennsylvania, the latter of the county of Tyrone, Ireland. They had four sons and one daughter.
Dr. George W. McCafferty was reared in Philadelphia and attended private schools until he entered the grammar school, from which he graduated in the senior class, at the Park Avenue Boys' Grammar School, when seventeen years of age. He then entered the biological department of the University of Pennsylvania for a two years' special course and was graduated in 1889. After four more years of study he graduated from the regular medical department of the University of Pennsylvania in the spring of 1893. He held positions in the Howard Hospital, Philadelphia, in St. Joseph's Hospital at Reading, and later in the Training School for Feeble Minded Children in Elwyn, Delaware county. From that institution he was appointed second assistant physician at the State Hospital for the Insane, at Norristown, and on January 1, 1897.