Hospital Werneck Castle
The medical and nursing home Werneck was founded in 1855, King Maximilian II of Bavaria left the Schloss Werneck of that district municipality Unterfranken establishing a district mental hospital. This followed a decision by the Bay. Parliament to establish a possible comprehensive inpatient psychiatric care. Thus the institution Werneck is one of the oldest in Bavaria. Its first director was Dr. Bernhard Gudden, the Institute took on a modern for its time as in treatment and organization. Many people he has remained in the memory that he was with the legendary King Ludwig II of Bavaria mysteriously found dead in Lake Starnberg.
Around the turn of the century reached the occupancy level of 800 beds. According to the psychiatric patient extremely hard years of the 1st World War - the mortality rose sharply for the food shortage - were used in the aftermath of new treatment methods. Particular emphasis was placed on the occupational therapy and a still modern today to be named post-exposure care of the patient / interior.
During the Nazi era were also Wernecker patients, mostly female, - forcibly sterilized - on the basis of the Law for the Prevention of Genetically Diseased Offspring. In October 1940, the medical and nursing facility was cleared to make room for German nationals and migrants from the Balkans. Partly through intermediate stations about 370 Wernecker patient girls came in the death camps called "Aktion T 4" and were killed there. The other patients were largely transferred to the medical and nursing home Lohr.
It was only in the 50s gradually returned to the patient/indoor, 1957 lived at the clinic function again. With the impulses of the psychiatric reform of the 70s and the Director of Currency Dr. Kohlhepp to Dr. Schottky there was a continuous upgrading of treatment, staff increase and modernization of buildings.