Mount Wilson State Hospital

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Mount Wilson State Hospital
Established 1924
Opened 1925/1952 (Current Building)
Closed 1981
Current Status Preserved
Building Style Cottage Plan
Location Mount Wilson, MD
Alternate Names
  • Thomas Wilson Center


Mount Wilson was established in 1925 with William Newcomer, M.D. as Superintendent and provides for the care of 500 patients. Staff: 1965, 389; Staff: 1966, 390.

Now called North Oakes Retirement Community. Mount Wilson State Hospital and Sanitarium closed in 1981. The buildings sat abandoned until 1990. Many high school students would visit the hospital. Secluded on about 200 acres in Baltimore County, Md. Thousands of Tuberculosis patients were treated here during the 50's, 60's, and 70's.