Pineland State Training School and Hospital
|Pineland State Training School and Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
Pineland State Training School and Hospital for the "mentally retarded of the Negro race" was established by Act No. 836 of S.C. Acts, 1952. The name Pineland was officially designated by Act No. 680 of S.C. Acts, 1954. The school opened in July 1953, in temporary quarters on the campus of the State Park unit of the State Hospital. The permanent buildings were completed in fiscal year 1955-1956 and occupied on February 14, 1956. Pineland was transferred from the Dept. of Mental Health (DMR) to the newly-created Dept. of Mental Retardation in 1968. With a name change to Midlands Center in 1970, the institution became one of DMR's regional centers. With the 1993 re-organization of state government, Midlands Center became a part of the Department of Disabilities and Special Needs.