Difference between revisions of "Blakely Poor-House"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(Lackawanna County Poor Districts)
Line 24: Line 24:
 
== Lackawanna County Poor Districts ==
 
== Lackawanna County Poor Districts ==
  
In Pennsylvania the almshouse typically consisted of a single County Poor Farm which provided refuge for all paupers of said county. Lackawanna, and a few other counties, acted as an exception to this rule of administration and instead divided the county into separate poor districts, each with their own almshouse. Lackawanna County was divided into five separate poor-districts with five separate poor houses. These were the Blakely Poor-House, [[Carbondale City Poor-House]], [[Hillside Farm and Almshouse]], [Northern Luzerne Poor-House]], and the [[Ransom Poor-House]], which incorporated in its poor district three townships and four boroughs of Luzerne County.
+
In Pennsylvania the almshouse typically consisted of a single County Poor Farm which provided refuge for all paupers of said county. Lackawanna, and a few other counties, acted as an exception to this rule of administration and instead divided the county into separate poor districts, each with their own almshouse. Lackawanna County was divided into five separate poor-districts with five separate poor houses. These were the Blakely Poor-House, [[Carbondale City Poor-House]], [[Hillside Farm and Almshouse]], [[Northern Luzerne Poor-House]], and the [[Ransom Poor-House]], which incorporated in its poor district three townships and four boroughs of Luzerne County.
  
 
== History ==
 
== History ==

Revision as of 18:45, 9 February 2013

Blakely Poor-House
Established 1861
Construction Began 1861 (original), 1890 (brick structure)
Construction Ended 1893 (brick structure)
Opened 1861
Closed Mid 1970s
Current Status Closed
Building Style 130 Discovery Drive, Scott Township, PA
Architect(s) Fred J. Amsden (brick structure)
Alternate Names * Blakely Home and Hospital
  • Blakely Convalescent Home



Lackawanna County Poor Districts

In Pennsylvania the almshouse typically consisted of a single County Poor Farm which provided refuge for all paupers of said county. Lackawanna, and a few other counties, acted as an exception to this rule of administration and instead divided the county into separate poor districts, each with their own almshouse. Lackawanna County was divided into five separate poor-districts with five separate poor houses. These were the Blakely Poor-House, Carbondale City Poor-House, Hillside Farm and Almshouse, Northern Luzerne Poor-House, and the Ransom Poor-House, which incorporated in its poor district three townships and four boroughs of Luzerne County.

History

The Blakely Poor District was incorporated in 1861. The poor farm was located six miles from Olyphant and its poor district included the boroughs of Archbald, Blakely, Dickson, Olyphant, Winton, and part of Jermyn. By 1886 the poor farm sat on 86 acres of land, bought for $7000, and had 40 acres under cultivated with one acre being used for garden husbandry. The institution originally had no plumbing, with toilet accommodations consisting of two cesspools located away from the buildings and water coming from a 14 foot well. At this time the poor farm consisted of two wooden frame structures, each two stories tall.

The first structure measured 30x40 feet and provided accommodation for the steward and his family. This building contained a small bedroom, parlor, hall, and sitting room on the first floor with four bedrooms, two large and two small, on the second floor. Attached to this buildings side was a "wing", measuring 30x24 feet which housed the female paupers. In this annex was the kitchen on the first floor with the second floor being divided into two congregate dormitories. This building could comfortably accommodate 24 female paupers.

The second structure was for the accommodation of male paupers, measuring 20x30 feet. The first floor contained a parlor and a congregate dormitory, with the second floor being divided into four bedrooms of various sizes. This building could comfortably accommodate 12 male paupers, bringing the total capacity of the institution to 36 paupers.

In 1890 the Blakely County Poor District began construction of a new brick and stone structure to replace the older frame structures. This building was two stories tall with an additional cellar and attic story. The structure as it stands today consists of the center brick building and two wings, one in either side, attached by hallways. It is possible that the center portion is the original 1890 structure and the wings on either side are later additions.

The alsmhouse operated in some capacity or another until the mid 1970s. From 1919 to 1950 it may have operated an insane dept however this information remains unsubstantiated by reliable sources. At the time of its closure in the 1970s it was operating as a county convalescent home. In 1976 the county sold the property to a private owner.

Present Day

Since the almshouses closure and subsequent sale in 1976 the building renovated for use as a clinical research lab. It currently stands and is owned by a company known as Calvert Laboratories Inc.




Images of the Blakely Poor-House

Main Image Gallery: Blakely Poor-House


Additional Information

http://boards.ancestrylibrary.com/thread.aspx?o=0&m=10745.3&p=localities.northam.usa.states.pennsylvania.counties.lackawanna http://www.accesspadr.org/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/slppadocs&CISOPTR=4350&REC=2 http://books.google.com/books?id=ctzKAAAAMAAJ&dq=Blakely+board+of+commissioners+public+charities+1891&q=Blakely+#v=onepage&q=lackawanna&f=false