Cuenca Sanatorium

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 13:53, 24 May 2021 by Squad546 (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = Cuenca Sanatorium | image = | image_size = 250px | alt = | established = | construction_began = | opened = 1910 | closed = 1953 | demolished...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Cuenca Sanatorium
Opened 1910
Closed 1953
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Single Building
Location Brighton, MN
Alternate Names
  • Children's Preventorium of Ramsey County




History

Cuenca Sanatorium was Ramsey County's first attempt to provide a hospital for consumptive patients in a rural setting. The St. Paul Anti-tuberculosis Committee paid $10,000 for the construction of a two-story building on the northeast side of Bass Lake (now known as Lake Owasso). It opened in January 1910. The building's first floor had two wings in addition to the wards in the main structure. It could accommodate 30 patients, but soon transitioned to caring mostly for children from ages 6 to 12. The medical director was Dr. Henry Longstreet Taylor, and there was no charge for care.

Unfortunately, the facility experienced several problems with sewage discharge into the lake. In 1912, the Anti-tuberculosis Committee asked the state's Board of Control to assume responsibility because of the problem. The commissioners declined, and the sanatorium closed. It reopened in July 1915 as the Children's Preventorium of Ramsey County, operated by a corporation formed by some St. Paul residents and funded by donations. In 1927, the main building burned and was replaced by brick buildings. The Preventorium closed in 1953.

[1]


References