Difference between revisions of "Hillsborough Hospital"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Updated status)
 
Line 10: Line 10:
 
| opened =  
 
| opened =  
 
| closed = 1982
 
| closed = 1982
| demolished =  
+
| demolished = 2019
| current_status = [[Closed Institution|Closed]]
+
| current_status = [[Demolished Institution|Demolished]]
 
| building_style = [[Cottage Planned Institutions|Cottage Plan]]
 
| building_style = [[Cottage Planned Institutions|Cottage Plan]]
 
| architect(s) =  David Stirling
 
| architect(s) =  David Stirling
Line 28: Line 28:
 
In 1907 the Provincial Infirmary was built on the west end of the facility and this part of the building became part of the Prince Edward Island Hospital for the Insane when the Provincial Infirmary moved to the original Prince Edward Island Hospital site on Kensington Road in 1933. The name of the facility changed to Falconwood Hospital in 1911 and the building was reconstructed in 1933-34 following a disastrous fire in 1931 which took the lives of 8 patients.
 
In 1907 the Provincial Infirmary was built on the west end of the facility and this part of the building became part of the Prince Edward Island Hospital for the Insane when the Provincial Infirmary moved to the original Prince Edward Island Hospital site on Kensington Road in 1933. The name of the facility changed to Falconwood Hospital in 1911 and the building was reconstructed in 1933-34 following a disastrous fire in 1931 which took the lives of 8 patients.
  
In 1957 the facility was renamed Riverside Hospital when a central section of the building was completed and connected by tunnels to east and west wings. The Active Treatment Centre was named Hillsborough General Hospital. In the 1970s the entire facility was renamed Hillsborough Hospital. The Riverside Home for Special Care is located in an adjacent facility. In 1982 the Queen Elizabeth Hospital was opened on an adjacent property.
+
In 1957 the facility was renamed Riverside Hospital when a central section of the building was completed and connected by tunnels to east and west wings. The Active Treatment Centre was named Hillsborough General Hospital. In the 1970s the entire facility was renamed Hillsborough Hospital. The Riverside Home for Special Care is located in an adjacent facility. In 1982 the Queen Elizabeth Hospital was opened on an adjacent property. Kildare Construction Ltd. won the demolition bid in the amount of $2.3 million in 2018 and began work in 2019. What will be done with the site has not been decided.
  
 
==Images==
 
==Images==
Line 36: Line 36:
  
 
[[Category:Prince Edward Island]]
 
[[Category:Prince Edward Island]]
[[Category:Closed Institution]]
+
[[Category:Demolished Institution]]
 
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]
 
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]

Latest revision as of 15:46, 20 October 2021

Hillsborough Hospital
Established 1879
Closed 1982
Demolished 2019
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Cottage Plan
Architect(s) David Stirling
Location Charlottetown, PE
Alternate Names
  • Prince Edward Island Hospital for the Insane
  • Falconwood Insane Asylum
  • Riverside Hospital



History[edit]

The Prince Edward Island Hospital for the Insane was established in December 1879 on the present location of the Hillsborough Hospital, then known as Falconwood Farm, comprising 120 acres of land along the Hillsborough River northeast of Charlottetown. It succeeded a facility for the care of the mentally ill which had been built in 1845 at Brighton Shore and had doubled in service as a Poor House.

In 1907 the Provincial Infirmary was built on the west end of the facility and this part of the building became part of the Prince Edward Island Hospital for the Insane when the Provincial Infirmary moved to the original Prince Edward Island Hospital site on Kensington Road in 1933. The name of the facility changed to Falconwood Hospital in 1911 and the building was reconstructed in 1933-34 following a disastrous fire in 1931 which took the lives of 8 patients.

In 1957 the facility was renamed Riverside Hospital when a central section of the building was completed and connected by tunnels to east and west wings. The Active Treatment Centre was named Hillsborough General Hospital. In the 1970s the entire facility was renamed Hillsborough Hospital. The Riverside Home for Special Care is located in an adjacent facility. In 1982 the Queen Elizabeth Hospital was opened on an adjacent property. Kildare Construction Ltd. won the demolition bid in the amount of $2.3 million in 2018 and began work in 2019. What will be done with the site has not been decided.

Images[edit]