Difference between revisions of "Mayview State Hospital"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with '{{infobox institution | name = Mayview State Hospital | image = Mayview 02.jpg | image_size = 250px | alt = | caption = | established = Sept 29, 1938 (As a PA State Hospital) …')
 
(Removed names/links that violated out AP:SPAM and AP:LINK policies.)
 
(8 intermediate revisions by 6 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{infobox institution
 
{{infobox institution
 
| name = Mayview State Hospital
 
| name = Mayview State Hospital
| image = Mayview 02.jpg
+
| image = Mayview admin.jpg
 
| image_size = 250px
 
| image_size = 250px
 
| alt =  
 
| alt =  
 
| caption =  
 
| caption =  
| established = Sept 29, 1938 (As a PA State Hospital)  
+
| established = 1938 (As a PA State Hospital)  
| construction_began = 1897
+
| construction_began = 1892
 +
| construction_ended =
 
| opened =
 
| opened =
 
| closed = December 2008
 
| closed = December 2008
Line 13: Line 14:
 
| building_style = [[Cottage Planned Institutions|Cottage Plan]]
 
| building_style = [[Cottage Planned Institutions|Cottage Plan]]
 
| architect(s) =
 
| architect(s) =
| location =
+
| location =
 +
| architecture_style =
 
| peak_patient_population = 3,785 in 1967
 
| peak_patient_population = 3,785 in 1967
| alternate_names =
+
| alternate_names =<br>
 
*Mayview Poor House
 
*Mayview Poor House
 
*Marshalsea
 
*Marshalsea
 
*Pittsburgh City Home and Hospital at Mayview  
 
*Pittsburgh City Home and Hospital at Mayview  
 
}}
 
}}
[[image:Mayview 04.jpg|300px|left]]In 1804 the overseers for the city of Pittsburgh established the first home for the care of paupers located on the south side of the city. In 1818, an increase in the size of the indigent population resulted in the construction of the Allegheny City Almshouse that continued in operation until 1848. On September 1, 1846, the overseers of the city of Pittsburgh purchased 102.5 acres of land along the Monongahela River at Homestead in Mifflin township. The City Poor Farm at Homestead constructed upon this tract opened in 1852 and by 1879 a separate building was erected for treatment of the insane. Once again, overcrowding forced the hospital to relocate and in 1892 construction on a new institution named Marshalsea began in South Fayette Township at Upper St. Clair. In response to the need for adequate medical care for inmates, a general hospital was also erected at this site in 1909. Allegheny City, located on Pittsburgh's North Side, also maintained an institution for the poor and insane at Claremont that later became known as Blawnox. When Allegheny City became part of the city of Pittsburgh on December 6, 1907 the patients of Claremont were transferred to Marshalsea. By 1916, the State Legislature gave its consent to change the name of the hospital from Marshalsea to the Pittsburgh City Home and Hospital at Mayview. In accordance with an act of 1938 that required the state to take over all institutions for the care of the mentally ill,the State of Pennsylvania took control of the mental section (Mayview State Hospital) in 1941. The City of Pittsburgh continued to operate the Pittsburgh City Home at Mayview that served the indigent. In March 1973, the Department of Public Welfare made plans to move patients judged to be criminally insane from Fairview State Hospital to Mayview. In 1982, an adolescent center was transferred from Woodville State Hospital to Mayview. During the closing of Dixmont State Hospital in 1984, the deaf unit was transferred to Mayview. As of 1998, Mayview State Hospital is still in operation.
 
  
From the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare web page: Mayview was built by the City of Pittsburgh in 1897 and served as a home for the poor through 1941 when the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania took over the operations. Since that time the process of care and treatment has gone through many changes. The patient population reached a high point of 3785 in June of 1967. Since that time the population as gradually been reduced to a total of 354 today. We have nearly 800 employees providing services today compared to only slightly more than 1200 when the census was over 3000. This gives us the ability to individualize care and form a true therapeutic alliance with everyone we serve.
+
==History==
 +
[[image:Mayview 04.jpg|300px|left]]
  
The hospital provides services to Allegheny, Beaver, Greene, Lawrence and Washington Counties. In addition, the forensic division of the hospital provides services to clients from the entire region west of Harrisburg.
+
In 1804 a building was completed in the newly incorporated City of Pittsburgh. The new building was the city's first "poor house", it held a population of 30. In 1818, an increase in the size of the indigent population resulted in the construction of the Allegheny City Almshouse. By 1846, with the continued increase in patients, the city was scouting sites for yet another new almshouse. Roughly 150 acres were acquired along the banks of the Monongahela River at Homestead, in Mifflin township and a three-story brick building was built to hold 300 patients. The City Poor Farm at Homestead opened in 1852 and by 1879 a separate building was erected for treatment of the insane. With a burgeoning population and a conviction that rural settings were healthier, especially for tuberculosis patients, the city made plans to move the hospital again, this time it would be located well outside the city boundaries. Land along the Monongahela was valuable and the city sold its almshouse acreage to the Carnegie Steel Company for $450,000.
  
Mayview State Hospital closed in December of 2008.
+
The city bought the George Neal Farm in what is now South Fayette Township at Upper St. Clair., and set up a rail station. In 1892 construction on a new hospital named Marshalsea began. A separate building for the insane was erected, and in 1899, and a physician was assigned to the insane department. In response to the need for adequate medical care for inmates, a general hospital was also erected at this site in 1909. Allegheny City, located on Pittsburgh's North Side, also maintained an institution for the poor and insane at Claremont that later became known as Blawnox. When Allegheny City became part of the city of Pittsburgh on December 6, 1907 the patients of Claremont were transferred to Marshalsea.
 +
 
 +
By 1900, the hospital's reputation as a place of sorrow was firmly established. ''The Home Monthly'', a publication of the time, described the inmates at Marshalsea as "Poor wrecks of humanity they are -- some mental, some physical, some moral wrecks -- stranded, at last dependent upon the city for enough to keep a miserable broken body and a poor shrunken soul together. ... If there is to-day a discontented man or woman in this city I prescribe a trip to Marshalsea. The blood may flee from the face at times and pity clutch at the heart strings." Years later, a contest was held to find a more suitable name for the hospital. There were four finalists, the winner was Mayview. By 1916, the State Legislature gave its consent to change the name of the hospital from Marshalsea to the Pittsburgh City Home and Hospital at Mayview.
 +
 
 +
In accordance with an act of 1938 that required the state to take over all institutions for the care of the mentally ill, the State of Pennsylvania took control of the mental section of the hospital in 1941. The patient population reached a high point of 3,785 in June of 1967, with 1,200 staff and employees. In March 1973, the Department of Public Welfare made plans to move patients judged to be criminally insane from [[Farview State Hospital]] to Mayview. In 1982, an adolescent center was transferred from [[Woodville State Hospital]] to Mayview. During the closing of [[Dixmont State Hospital]] in 1984, the deaf unit was transferred to Mayview.
 +
 
 +
The patient population gradually reduced starting in the 1970s, by 2008 the hospital only had 354 patients with 800 staff and employees. The hospital provided services to Allegheny, Beaver, Greene, Lawrence and Washington Counties. In addition, a forensic division of the hospital provides services to clients from the entire region west of Harrisburg. Mayview State Hospital was closed by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare in December of 2008. The remaining patients were individually assessed and were either transferred to another state hospital or to community care facilities.
 +
 
 +
A series of deaths and other serious incidents (known by the state as "sentinel events") started to occur after the closure of the hospital was announced in 2007. In the space of 24 hours in October 2007, two former Mayview patients died violently. Anthony Fallert, who had been released from the hospital in Spring of 2006, wandered from a South Side residence operated by Mercy Behavioral Mental Health. His body was found a day later in the Monongahela River. Authorities believe he had leapt or fallen from the Birmingham Bridge after leaving the facility. In the year after his release from Mayview, Mr. Fallert had lived at facilities in Clarion County and New Kensington and with his mother in Allentown. The day Mr. Fallert's body was being pulled from the river, another former Mayview patient, Ahson J. Abdullah, was struck by a train as he walked on the tracks near his home in Braddock. Mr. Abdullah, who had been in and out of jail over the course of his life, had been a patient at Mayview's forensic unit, which handles mental health cases referred by the courts. In all, state officials say 44 sentinel events have taken place among the region's mentally ill and critics suggest it could run higher. At the same time, the Department of Public Welfare says that of the 44 events cited, only three involved patients released from Mayview since the closure was announced Aug. 15 of 2007 and only 10 of the 44 cases had any prior history with Mayview.
 +
In 2010, the campus was purchased by Aloe Brothers LLC and by early 2013, nearly all the buildings had been demolished. A new residential development now sits on the former site of the hospital as of August 2018.
 +
 
 +
== News Articles ==
 +
*[http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10091/1047054-57.stm State nears decision on Mayview Property] - April 01, 2010
 +
*[http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08363/938147-114.stm Mayview State Hospital: Last reminder of a lost era closes] - December 28, 2008
 +
*[http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08364/938251-114.stm Mayview's closing brings fear and hope] - December 29, 2008
 +
*[http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/alleghenyneighborhoods/alleghenyneighborhoodsmore/4376851-74/mayview-aloe-campus#axzz3WWdZT54N]
 +
*[https://archon.klnpa.org/psa/?p=collections/classifications&id=586 Mayview State Hospital records available at the Pennsylvania State Archives]
  
 
== Images of Mayview State Hospital ==
 
== Images of Mayview State Hospital ==
 
{{image gallery|[[Mayview State Hospital Image Gallery|Mayview State Hospital]]}}
 
{{image gallery|[[Mayview State Hospital Image Gallery|Mayview State Hospital]]}}
 
 
<gallery>
 
<gallery>
 
File:Mayview 01.jpg
 
File:Mayview 01.jpg
 
File:Mayview 02.jpg
 
File:Mayview 02.jpg
 
File:Mayview 04.jpg
 
File:Mayview 04.jpg
 +
File:MayviewSH 17.jpg
 
</gallery>
 
</gallery>
 +
  
 
== Additional Information & Links ==
 
== Additional Information & Links ==
 
 
*[http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoid=101336# A great video about the hospital with clips from 1936]
 
*[http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoid=101336# A great video about the hospital with clips from 1936]
*[http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08363/938147-114.stm An article about the hospital closure]
 
 
 
  
  
Line 48: Line 63:
 
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]
 
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]
 
[[Category:Closed Institution]]
 
[[Category:Closed Institution]]
 +
[[Category:Articles With Videos]]

Latest revision as of 14:34, 24 April 2019

Mayview State Hospital
Established 1938 (As a PA State Hospital)
Construction Began 1892
Closed December 2008
Current Status Closed
Building Style Cottage Plan
Peak Patient Population 3,785 in 1967
Alternate Names
  • Mayview Poor House
  • Marshalsea
  • Pittsburgh City Home and Hospital at Mayview



History[edit]

Mayview 04.jpg

In 1804 a building was completed in the newly incorporated City of Pittsburgh. The new building was the city's first "poor house", it held a population of 30. In 1818, an increase in the size of the indigent population resulted in the construction of the Allegheny City Almshouse. By 1846, with the continued increase in patients, the city was scouting sites for yet another new almshouse. Roughly 150 acres were acquired along the banks of the Monongahela River at Homestead, in Mifflin township and a three-story brick building was built to hold 300 patients. The City Poor Farm at Homestead opened in 1852 and by 1879 a separate building was erected for treatment of the insane. With a burgeoning population and a conviction that rural settings were healthier, especially for tuberculosis patients, the city made plans to move the hospital again, this time it would be located well outside the city boundaries. Land along the Monongahela was valuable and the city sold its almshouse acreage to the Carnegie Steel Company for $450,000.

The city bought the George Neal Farm in what is now South Fayette Township at Upper St. Clair., and set up a rail station. In 1892 construction on a new hospital named Marshalsea began. A separate building for the insane was erected, and in 1899, and a physician was assigned to the insane department. In response to the need for adequate medical care for inmates, a general hospital was also erected at this site in 1909. Allegheny City, located on Pittsburgh's North Side, also maintained an institution for the poor and insane at Claremont that later became known as Blawnox. When Allegheny City became part of the city of Pittsburgh on December 6, 1907 the patients of Claremont were transferred to Marshalsea.

By 1900, the hospital's reputation as a place of sorrow was firmly established. The Home Monthly, a publication of the time, described the inmates at Marshalsea as "Poor wrecks of humanity they are -- some mental, some physical, some moral wrecks -- stranded, at last dependent upon the city for enough to keep a miserable broken body and a poor shrunken soul together. ... If there is to-day a discontented man or woman in this city I prescribe a trip to Marshalsea. The blood may flee from the face at times and pity clutch at the heart strings." Years later, a contest was held to find a more suitable name for the hospital. There were four finalists, the winner was Mayview. By 1916, the State Legislature gave its consent to change the name of the hospital from Marshalsea to the Pittsburgh City Home and Hospital at Mayview.

In accordance with an act of 1938 that required the state to take over all institutions for the care of the mentally ill, the State of Pennsylvania took control of the mental section of the hospital in 1941. The patient population reached a high point of 3,785 in June of 1967, with 1,200 staff and employees. In March 1973, the Department of Public Welfare made plans to move patients judged to be criminally insane from Farview State Hospital to Mayview. In 1982, an adolescent center was transferred from Woodville State Hospital to Mayview. During the closing of Dixmont State Hospital in 1984, the deaf unit was transferred to Mayview.

The patient population gradually reduced starting in the 1970s, by 2008 the hospital only had 354 patients with 800 staff and employees. The hospital provided services to Allegheny, Beaver, Greene, Lawrence and Washington Counties. In addition, a forensic division of the hospital provides services to clients from the entire region west of Harrisburg. Mayview State Hospital was closed by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare in December of 2008. The remaining patients were individually assessed and were either transferred to another state hospital or to community care facilities.

A series of deaths and other serious incidents (known by the state as "sentinel events") started to occur after the closure of the hospital was announced in 2007. In the space of 24 hours in October 2007, two former Mayview patients died violently. Anthony Fallert, who had been released from the hospital in Spring of 2006, wandered from a South Side residence operated by Mercy Behavioral Mental Health. His body was found a day later in the Monongahela River. Authorities believe he had leapt or fallen from the Birmingham Bridge after leaving the facility. In the year after his release from Mayview, Mr. Fallert had lived at facilities in Clarion County and New Kensington and with his mother in Allentown. The day Mr. Fallert's body was being pulled from the river, another former Mayview patient, Ahson J. Abdullah, was struck by a train as he walked on the tracks near his home in Braddock. Mr. Abdullah, who had been in and out of jail over the course of his life, had been a patient at Mayview's forensic unit, which handles mental health cases referred by the courts. In all, state officials say 44 sentinel events have taken place among the region's mentally ill and critics suggest it could run higher. At the same time, the Department of Public Welfare says that of the 44 events cited, only three involved patients released from Mayview since the closure was announced Aug. 15 of 2007 and only 10 of the 44 cases had any prior history with Mayview. In 2010, the campus was purchased by Aloe Brothers LLC and by early 2013, nearly all the buildings had been demolished. A new residential development now sits on the former site of the hospital as of August 2018.

News Articles[edit]

Images of Mayview State Hospital[edit]

Main Image Gallery: Mayview State Hospital



Additional Information & Links[edit]