|Location||Tidmore, Seminole Nation, OK|
Mekasukey Academy was built in 1891 for the education of Creek and Seminole boys, by the Seminole Indians as part of their tribal school system. It was supervised by the Presbyterian Church until the Federal government took over all Indian schools in 1906. The school was four stories high and, unlike most public buildings of the time; had electricity, steam heat, and indoor plumbing, with water piped from a nearby spring. The red sandstone brick used in the construction of the buildings was first sent to a "Mr. Tidmore" (probabaly the contractor for the project), and then hauled overland by oxen from Muskogee.
The villiage of Tidmore slowly moved eastward toward the Seminole train depot, only having it's own post office from 1902-1907.
In 1911, Mekasukey Academy combined with the Emahaka Academy, (the girl's academy up until then), and the school become coeducational; enrolling boy Seminole and Creek boys and girls.
The school had a staff of 20, and though it could accommodate up to 100 students, enrollment was usually kept between 80-90. The school was almost self-sufficient. Students raised livestock, vegetables, and dairy products. Since it was a boarding school, all the teachers and employees lived on campus. Teachers spoke only in English, and children were not allowed to speak Seminole during the nine month school term.
Mrs. Ada Oliver Sullivan was a teacher at Mekasukey Academy from 1918 to 1927.
Mekasukey Academy's role was brief, as it was forcibly closed in 1930 since the forced integration required students to attend newly established public schools, and it was destroyed by fire in 1935. Today the site is home to the Seminole Nation Business and Corporate Regulatory Commission uses the only remaining building of the original structure, which is the former steam room, as its office. The villiage of Tidmore no longer exists and the original site is located in what is now Muskogee, OK.