Muskingum County Infirmary

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 20:43, 6 July 2020 by Squad546 (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = Muskingum County Infirmary | image = Muskingum County Infirmary.jpg | image_size = 250px | alt = | caption = | established = | construction_b...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Muskingum County Infirmary
Opened 1839/1860
Closed 2008
Demolished 2011
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Single Building
Location Zanesville, OH
Alternate Names
  • Muskingum County Poorhouse



History

The historical roots of the Muskingum County Home stretch back to the early 1800s, when each county in Ohio had a “poor house” to shelter the indigent. The name changed to Infirmary in 1850. Muskingum County’s infirmary was built in 1839 on 200 acres of farmland along Newark Road. After a fire in 1860, the building was rebuilt. The site also hosted a Civil War encampment known as Camp Zanesville.

A replacement was soon sought, and in 1881 a grand structure was built at a cost of $40,000. The building had 112 rooms and featured several towers and a peaked roof. Eventually, the building fell into disrepair, leading to the elimination of the towers and eventual orders by the state fire marshal’s office to repair the building. The brick building soldiered along until it was closed in 2008, with residents transferred to a former privately owned facility, which in turn closed in 2012. The Newark Road building was demolished in 2011.