Difference between revisions of "Northern Michigan Tuberculosis Sanatorium"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Updated info)
 
Line 9: Line 9:
 
| construction_ended =
 
| construction_ended =
 
| opened = 1937
 
| opened = 1937
| closed = 1988
+
| closed = 1981
 
| demolished =
 
| demolished =
| current_status = [[Closed Institution|Closed]]
+
| current_status = [[Preserved Institution|Preserved]]
 
| building_style = [[Cottage Planned Institutions|Cottage Plan]]
 
| building_style = [[Cottage Planned Institutions|Cottage Plan]]
 
| architect(s) =
 
| architect(s) =
Line 24: Line 24:
 
==History==   
 
==History==   
  
Built in 1937 the Northern Michigan Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened in 1937 as a 128 bed TB Sanatorium just a few miles outside of Gaylord, Michigan.  5 accessory buildings were added and the facility took over a 160 acre plot before converting eventually being converted to a state hospital for the mentally handicapped. The named changed in 1972 to the Alpine Center, which existed until its closure in 1988. The buildings were acquired by the county the following year, and after sitting vacant for several years the main building was refurbished and put back into use.  
+
Built in 1937 the Northern Michigan Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened in 1937 as a 128 bed TB Sanatorium just a few miles outside of Gaylord, Michigan.  5 accessory buildings were added and the facility took over a 160 acre plot before converting eventually being converted to a state hospital for the mentally handicapped. The named changed in 1972 to the Alpine Center. In 1981, the Alpine Center closed as a center for the disabled as their care became community based. The impact to the local economy and the displaced workers was enormous. Hoover moved to another part of the state to work at a similar institution as did many of her relatives and other employees of the center. In 1982, Otsego County purchased the 160 acres and six buildings for $1. The complex was named the J. Richard Yuill Alpine Center. The Gaylord High School, University Center, 46th Circuit Court and a number of other county, state and federal agencies are now housed there.
  
 
<gallery>
 
<gallery>
Line 32: Line 32:
 
[[Category:Michigan]]
 
[[Category:Michigan]]
 
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]
 
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]
[[Category:Closed Institution]]
+
[[Category:Preserved Institution]]

Latest revision as of 06:12, 10 May 2021

Northern Michigan Tuberculosis Sanatorium
Established 1931
Construction Began 1936
Opened 1937
Closed 1981
Current Status Preserved
Building Style Cottage Plan
Location Gaylord, Michigan
Alternate Names
  • Gaylord State Home
  • J. Richard Yuill Alpine Center



History[edit]

Built in 1937 the Northern Michigan Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened in 1937 as a 128 bed TB Sanatorium just a few miles outside of Gaylord, Michigan. 5 accessory buildings were added and the facility took over a 160 acre plot before converting eventually being converted to a state hospital for the mentally handicapped. The named changed in 1972 to the Alpine Center. In 1981, the Alpine Center closed as a center for the disabled as their care became community based. The impact to the local economy and the displaced workers was enormous. Hoover moved to another part of the state to work at a similar institution as did many of her relatives and other employees of the center. In 1982, Otsego County purchased the 160 acres and six buildings for $1. The complex was named the J. Richard Yuill Alpine Center. The Gaylord High School, University Center, 46th Circuit Court and a number of other county, state and federal agencies are now housed there.