Difference between revisions of "Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled"
|Line 35:||Line 35:|
Revision as of 20:12, 13 August 2013
|Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Location||Chippewa Falls, WI|
|Peak Patient Population||2,203 (1962)|
The first attempt to establish a residential facility for the developmentally disabled in the State of Wisconsin dates back to 1867, when the state legislature passed a bill to provide an institution for "imbecile and idiotic" children. Because the presiding officers failed to sign it before adjournment, the bill did not become law. Various organizations continued to call attention to the need for such an institution which resulted in a bill in 1887 that passed both houses, but was vetoed by the governor. When re-introduced in 1891, the bill failed to pass both houses of the legislature. Finally, in 1895, twenty eight years after it was first introduced, the bill for a "Wisconsin Home for the Feeble Minded" became a law.
The name of the institution changed several times, including in 1922, when it was renamed the Northern Wisconsin Colony and Training School. As of 1976, it is known as the Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled and is still used for the care of patients with developmental disabilities. and is still used for the care of patients with developmental disabilities.