Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 21:34, 10 July 2012 by Squad546 (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled
Established 1895
Opened 1897
Current Status Active
Building Style Cottage Plan
Location Chippewa Falls, WI
Peak Patient Population 2,203 (1962)
Alternate Names
  • Northern Wisconsin Home for the Feebleminded and Epileptics
  • Northern Wisconsin Colony and Training School
  • Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled



History

In 1895, after almost 20 years, the state enacted legislation to create a "Home for the Feeble-Minded" in Wisconsin and appropriates $100,000 for land and buildings. The name of the institution changed several times, including in 1922, when it was renamed the Northern Wisconsin Colony and Training School. As of 1976, it is known as the Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled and is still used for the care of patients with developmental disabilities. and is still used for the care of patients with developmental disabilities.

Images

See Also

Links