St. Johns Hospital

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 21:30, 1 February 2013 by Squad546 (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
St. John's Hospital
Construction Ended 1853
Opened 1853
Closed 1991
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Corridor Plan
Architect(s) Thomas Henry Wyatt & David Brandon
Location Stone, Buckinghamshire
Alternate Names
  • Buckinghamshire County Asylum
  • Stone Asylum
  • Buckinghamshire Mental Hospital



History[edit]

The former St John's Hospital was built in 1850-1852 in the area of Stone in Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire. The building was designed by the architect David Brandon. In 1868-1869 a new chapel and two wards were added and two wings were added and the chapel was enlarged in 1902-1904 to designs by R. J. Thomas.

The hospital was originally built as the Buckinghamshire County Lunatic Asylum which it remained until 1919 when it became the Buckinghamshire Mental Hospital until 1948. The hospital specialised in providing care for people with psychiatric problems. The building was closed in 1991 and the land was kept for a housing estate. At some point after this the building was demolished and now no longer exists. All that remains of the original building are the staff houses and the asylum chapel.