Sunnyside Lunatic Asylum

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 07:36, 29 October 2021 by Squad546 (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Sunnyside Lunatic Asylum
Opened 1863
Closed 1999
Demolished 2007
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Echelon Plan
Architect(s) Benjamin Mountfort
Location Christchurch, NZ
Architecture Style Victorian Gothic
Alternate Names
  • Sunnyside Hospital for the Insane
  • Hillmorton Hospital


Sunnyside Hospital, Christchurch’s first mental asylum, was opened in 1863. It was built to house those who were considered insane, before then they had been held at the Lyttelton jail. The hospital was closed in 1999 and demolition began on its last building in late April 2007, to make way for a Ngāi Tahu housing development.