Westmoreland County Almshouse

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 20:50, 27 June 2020 by Squad546 (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Westmoreland County Almshouse
Established 1849
Opened 1851
Current Status Demolished
Building Style Single Building
Location Greensburg, PA
Alternate Names
  • Westmoreland County Home



History[edit]

The General Election in November 1849 got the approval to purchase land/farmland, build buildings, elect officials and hire other necessary workers, and to follow compliance orders that regarded working with children and living conditions. After the General Election, the County Commissioners purchased about 180 acres of land from a William Snyder of Hempfield Township. The County Home was along present day U.S. Route 119 and on the land currently is the Westmoreland Manor, the Pennsylvania Regional Correctional Institute, and the Westmoreland County Juvenile Detention Center. The first Westmoreland County Home burned down in 1862, the second in 1878, and the third building stood until the 1950s.


Images of the Westmoreland County Almshouse[edit]

Main Image Gallery: Westmoreland County Almshouse


Additional Information[edit]