Westmoreland County Almshouse
|Westmoreland County Almshouse|
|Building Style||Single Building|
The General Election in November 1849 got the approval to purchase land/farmland, build buildings, elect officials and hire other necessary workers, and to follow compliance orders that regarded working with children and living conditions. After the General Election, the County Commissioners purchased about 180 acres of land from a William Snyder of Hempfield Township. The County Home was along present day U.S. Route 119 and on the land currently is the Westmoreland Manor, the Pennsylvania Regional Correctional Institute, and the Westmoreland County Juvenile Detention Center. The first Westmoreland County Home burned down in 1862, the second in 1878, and the third building stood until the 1950s.
Images of the Westmoreland County Almshouse
Main Image Gallery: Westmoreland County Almshouse