Clark County Poor Farm
|Clark County Poor Farm|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Architecture Style||Second Empire|
The Clark County Poor House, also known as the County Poor Farm, was an institution of the late 19th and early 20th century for County residents who could not provide for themselves. It was funded by the taxpayers and was run by an elected official known as the Overseer or Superintendent. It least two different locations had served as the Poor House for Clark County. The first poorhouse was in Parker Township, on 400 St. north of Martinsville, just south of Olympic Road, between Westfield and Cleone. Later, by 1910, it was located on Illinois Route 1 south of Marshall. It consisted of a house and barn. The buildings were torn down in the late 1950s to make way for the site of the present-day Clark County Highway Office and Garage.