Collingwood Lunatic Asylum
|Collingwood Lunatic Asylum|
|Location||Collingwood Flat, VIC|
The Collingwood Asylum was situated in an area known as Collingwood Flat which today is around the area of Princess Street and Lee Street, North Carlton. Hence the Asylum was sometimes known as the Carlton Asylum.
Prior to its establishment as an Asylum it had been known as the Collingwood Stockade, an establishment for the confinement of prisoners. In 1866 the Stockade buildings were converted for use as a temporary asylum for the accommodation of lunatic patients who were being held in gaols. Collingwood was gazetted as a public asylum in October 1867. It accommodated both male and female patients. With the opening of the Kew Asylum in 1872, Collingwood ceased to function as an independent institution, and functioned merely as a ward of Kew. In June 1873 all patients were transferred from Collingwood to Kew, and the building passed to the Education Department.