Franklin County Infirmary
|Franklin County Infirmary|
|Opened||1883 (Second Location)|
|Building Style||Single Building|
The Franklin County Infirmary opened November 1, 1883. The first County Infirmary, initially known as the poor house, was built in 1833 at the fork of the Scioto and Olentangy Rivers and housed nine residents. In 1869 land was purchased to build a larger and more accessible facility at the west end of King Avenue. Plans were drawn up by the architect N. B. Kelly but the County Commissioners decided the project too expensive and the land was sold. By 1876 ninety eight acres of land were purchased on Eberle Road (now Alum Creek Drive). On November 1, 1883 residents moved into the new infirmary, built to accommodate 350 residents. The plans were similar to those originally created for the property on King Avenue. The infirmary continued to be used for 85 years until new buildings were erected in 1968.
Initially the institution was used to house single men and women, generally elderly, with no families and unable to work. Eventually the infirmary also cared for the “insane,” the mentally disabled and children under sixteen years of age.