Giles County Poor Farm

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Giles County Poor Farm
Established 1865
Opened 1865
Closed 1960s
Current Status Closed
Location Blooming Grove, TN
Alternate Names


"In 1865, the County Court part based 130 acres of land in the Eleventh District. four miles east of Pulaski. for a county poor farm, and erected log buildings thereon for tile accommodation of paupers. In 1867, frame buildings took the place of the log house, and these were replaced with a good brick building in 1884, which cost about $4,000." [1]

The Blooming Grove Community is best known for the County Farm. The Giles County Court purchased 138 acres of land for the accommodation of paupers in 1865.

The buildings at the Poor House were ordered to built on the following plan: One room 16 feet by 20 feet for a workhouse and to eat in, of hewn timber, a good plank floor and covered with good boards not over 30 inches long, with a good cabin chimney. A good smokehouse of logs, covered with boards, 15 feet square. Four good cabins near the workhouse, 16 feet square, of same quality and material as workhouse. Good log crib, 10 feet by 15 feet 9 feet to roof. One store house of same material, 10 feet by 20 feet, 8 feet to joists, to be covered with timbers six inches in diameter, no chimney, no window - to be cut into two rooms, doors two inches thick.

In 1867, the log structures were replaced with frame buildings. A brick building was erected in 1884 at the cost of $4,000.

There were 32 residents on the farm in 1941. The farm closed in the early 1960s and the residents were moved to other facilities.[2]


  1. From GILES COUNTY History of Franklin, Giles, Lincoln and Moore Counties, Tennessee, Goodspeed Publishing Company, Nashville, 1886, pp. 749-766, scanned by Mrs. Sarah Smith
  2. The following was copied from a Giles County of Tennessee message board post